Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DIY Terrain Project: Objective Markers Part 1

Ok so I wanted to make some drop pod themed objective markers for my Terrans vs Ghost Fleet games. 


You will need some Oval Bases of you size choice, Rocks, Vinyl Spackling, a popsicle stick for working with the spackling, super glue, pin vise and snips or x-acto knife


So smear the spackling onto your base with the spackiling thick in the middle and tapering toward the edges. Then smush in you rocks, vehicles or drop pods so that it appears as if the drop pod or vehicle has pushed the dirt into a mound.


For my supply drop pods I wanted the deceleration propellers and their cables to be draped over the pods as if the just landed. I used the props from the Halo VTOL (forget what it is called) because I had wanted my VTOL to be jet propelled. For the cable I used an old phone charger wire that I glued into the prop. I then draped it over the pod and positioned the prop so it looked like it had just landed next to the pod.


I wanted to do one drop pod as if it was just hitting the ground and the cable mounted deceleration prop had not yet fallen to the ground. I also used some smaller oval bases to model some small drop pods that might have incapacitated occupants who need a rescue. 


Supply drop pod landed among some rocks and has yet to pop its explosive bolts.


I wanted to have a vehicle based objective marker for my Colonial Defense Forces as well and thought that this vehicle would make a good makeshift civilian transport carrying refugees or fleeing civilians that got stuck in some mud or soft sand. or maybe threw an axle or some other major break-down.

Tomorrow I will be flocking the bases and priming the markers in step two. 

Stay tuned and game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment