Friday, July 4, 2014

DIY: Starship Interiors / Ground Station Custom Tiles

The idea behind this project was to create a light-weight and portable set of customizable starship interiors out of materials I on hand or could acquire easily from a crafts store if I wanted more. I didn't want walls (though those would have been really good looking) because I wanted players to be able to see into every section of the ship if they were sitting around the table for an RPG. 

I started out making some simple rooms like cargo rooms and hallways. I used different shapes and sizes for different rooms. I used some small wooden rectangles of different sizes to make the gravity plates for the deck.



Overview of the first starship layout. Cockpit at the bottom most section. The engine room and fuel / energy storage cells in the rear. In the middle are six cargo bays. The smaller rectangles will eventually be staterooms, medical ward, galley, storage and escape pods.


The engine I made from a empty paint bottle, some bottle caps and some old laptop powercord adapters and a random fobbit from the bits box. Here is a 15mm german from FoW for size.


The Fuel storage tanks / Energy storage cells are stacked and glued pieces from an old Backgammon game whose case I will use to store the pieces for the ship after painting.


Here are the cargo areas with some drop pods / cargo pods made from bottle caps. and our FoW Kraut for size.


Here is what will eventually be the cockpit and crew quarters which attach to the central spine of the ship.


 The whole layout so I can get a sense of size and position. I will gradually do up more sections with 3D parts like the Engine and Power Cells.



I plan to use this for 15mm boarding actions and ship based battles against pirates or bug hunts. The tiles could easily double as a ground station as well and I will make certain specialized sections for use with either game mode. The idea is to be cheap and creative. I will update progress on the ship as I get tiles painted or modeled up.


No comments:

Post a Comment