Monday, May 5, 2014

Post Tournament Thoughts


Ok so this was my first trip to the Wyvern's Tale and I have to say that it is a great little game store. It has retail space downstairs and enough game space upstairs for 8 games of X-wing to be played simultaneously. We had 13 players show up for the tourney saturday which is more than I have seen play X-Wing at any given time. I met some great guys an had some good games. Because we had an odd number someone would get a bye each round. Mine came in round two. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics as I was too busy playing or joking around which is my SOP most of the time.

my list
Soontir Fel
Swarm Tactics
Stealth Device

Carnor Jax
Swarm Tactics
Stealth Device

2 x Alpha Sq Interceptors

Game 1 vs Brad
His list
Shuttle with Vader, Crew Member
Carnor Jax
3 x tie fighters? (at least three, but maybe four I don't remember)

Well after a few rounds of poor maneuvering I got into range to shoot, I damaged the shuttle and then brad used vader two turns in a row to finish off a wounded Soontir Fel with two crits after a lucky crit early on that reduced his PS to 0....grrrr

Brad went on to one shot both my generic interceptors at close range with TIE FIGHTERS. He rolled three hits each time...I rolled three or more blanks each time. When the dice are against you what can you do?

Carnor Jax put up a fight but ultimately got swarmed under by his imposter and his cronies.

Loss 99-21

Game 2 BYE :(
Game two I wandered around and watched others play...which always sucks but let me get  look at what the local meta was like.
Currently it seems that the meta game here is fortress falcon, Tie Swarm, or Shuttle/Vader and two bounty hunters with gunner. There was also a four B-wing/Sensors list which did well, a 3 Tie Bomber list with assault missiles and seismic charges.

Game 3 Bobby
His List
Shuttle w/ Vader, Crew Member
2 x Bounty Hunters with Gunner

Maneuvering this game for me was better and managed to set up a perfectly coordinated attack run with all four interceptor at range one on Bobby's shuttle. The shuttle esploded and sent Vader spinnin through space yet again.

Bobby's Bounty Huners and thier gunners then proceeded to tear my interceptors apart one by one. I ripped the shields off of one Bounty Hunter but it was not enough. Loss 99-21. Starting to look familiar?

Game 4 Zac
His List
Janson with R2-D2
Wedge Marksmanship? I don't remember.
Biggs with R2-F2

After some initial maneuvering  we met in the middle. On the first pass Biggs was out of position and Janson took some shield damage. Then we had a close range (range 1) pass and using swarm tactics shot down Biggs, Wedge then wiffed and then Wedge bought the farm. Holy Crap. That was an amazing first pass and the first time the list performed well all day. Janson took some hunting down and managed to finish off a wounded Carnor Jax before being cornered and blasted.

Win 100- 31

Post Tourney Thoughts?
Interceptors are really glass cannons and even with stealth devices just cannot dodge or absorb enough shots to stay in the fight. The first two games I did more over all damage but lost more ships and you can't fight ships with dirty looks and colorful language.

I almost took the Shuttle Bounty hunter list myself but decided at the last minute to play interceptors for some reason. Oh Well, I had a great day and met a great group of guys who love X-Wing.

Overall Winner
Patric with Fortress Falcons (Chewie w gunner and draw their fair and Lando with gunner and determination)

Cody with a Tie Swarm list (Howlrunner, Backstabber or Dark Curse i can't remember and a bunch of Academy pilots)

I look forward to the next tourney and the summer escalation league.

No comments:

Post a Comment