Sunday, May 18, 2014

Escape from Hoth: an Ode to Red Squadron

During our first game Tycho gets one shotted by a Royal Guard Interceptor and Lando is destroyed in the Millennium Falsehood. The Transport escapes but with heavy damage.

"Red Squadron" 
(Sung to Bad Company by 5 Finger Death Punch)

A Rebel Cause, always on the run
Destiny is the Death Star Run
Oh, I was born with a blaster in my hands
In Echo Base I'll make my final stand
That's why they call me


The Transport barely escapes through the mines.

Red Squadron
And I can't deny
Red Squadron
Till the day I die
Oh, till the day I die
Till the day I die


Red Squadron fights off waves of Imperial Ships

Rebel scum, deserters we are called
Chose a gun and flew away for fun
Now these worlds, well they all know our name
The Death Star Run, is our claim to fame
That's why they call me


The Bright Hope actually runs over Arvyn Crenad and Hobbie while maneuvering and the game is called afterwards as the transport is down to one hull point.

Red Squadron
I can't deny
Red, Red Squadron
Till the day I die,
Untill the day I die,
Untill the day I die,
Until the day I die


The rebels are all out of experienced pilots and the transport is still suffering hull damage (direct hit crit) So a smuggler, a couple of prototype fighters and two red squadron pilots attempt to bring the Bright Hope through the final leg of the blockade.


Y for a TIE
Trooper for a trooper
Blood for blood
We've all gotta die
We're all gonna die


Soontir Fel and a Bomber loaded with hurt make a run on the transport after unloading on the smuggler ship. While a Bounty Hunter and Assault Shuttle come in from the front.

That's why they call me
Red Squadron
I won't deny
Red, Red Squadron
Till the day I die


Things get messy in a crazy furball around the Bright Hope.


Red Squadron
I won't deny
Red, Red Squadron
Till the day I die
Untill the day I die
Untill the day I die
Until the day I die


The Bright Hope's Captain tries to get clear of the swirling dogfight and escape.


UNTIL THE DAY I DIE


The Bright Hope plows into the smuggler's ships and sideswipes the heavily damaged bomber with its big, fat, juicy aft.


Afterward
The Ace of the day went to Zac Hines, Captain of the Bright Hope, who accounted for the most kills in all three games (X-wing, A-wing, YT-1300 and a TIE Bomber). His kill total left us wondering who's side he was actually on.

My TIE Bomber in game two actually manage to kill himself with his own bomb and damage two nearby TIE Academy pilots. While the rebel ships he was aiming to bomb were run over by their own transport. 

The Royal Guard Interceptor Pilot managed to one shot Tycho Celchu on turn 1 of game one using Opportunist and poor Deklan rolled all blanks for his three agility.

The Transport in game two was actually destroyed by the guns of the TIE bomber and two Academy Pilots. Not bad for two attack dice.

Torynn Farr kept ripping my target locks off of my bombers making my cluster missiles useless. 

Games were long with lots of extra campaign rules but it was fun and we all had a good time laughing at our hapless pilots all desperately trying to stay out of the way of the Transport (renamed "The Maneater").

I wouldn't if I were you
I know what she can do
She's deadly man
Amd she could really rip your world apart
Mind over matter
Ooh, the beauty is there
But a beast is in the heart

(Oh-oh, here she comes)
Watch out boy
She'll chew you up
(Oh-oh, here she comes)
She's a maneater
(Oh-oh, here she comes)
Watch out boy
She'll chew you up
(Oh-oh, here she comes)
She's a maneater

Thanks to Bobby for running it and to all the guys who showed up to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment