Friday, May 30, 2014

Gruntz 15mm: Terran Marine Assault Mecha

 A Few years ago I was playing Warhammer 40k Actively and built these mecha to represent two different tanks in the Tau Army The Hammerhead and the Skyray. Since then I have used them for Gruntz 15mm as Assault class walkers. 



The Artemis is usually supported by Marine Assault Armor which can drop with it from orbit. 

The Artemis is heavily armed with a Large Railgun and two gatling cannons mounted on its arms. 

It has a decent move of 5 and jump jets That give it more options when maneuvering around difficult terrain.

The Railgun has been upgraded to give it better range. 

The Artemis is used my the Terran Marine Corps as a heavy support vehicle during orbital drop operations. Traditional vehicles have a difficult time making drops from orbit but mecha are able to land in and move from difficult terrain where a more traditional vehicle would be immobilized with track or suspension damage. 

The Artemis is a one man vehicle but the pilot is assisted with most tasks by an advanced AI.


I started with a Gundam Model I got at Hobbytown USA for $15.


 I used some Tau parts and eliminated some of the Gundam parts. I added a Crisis Suit jet pack after shaving it down to fit flush along the back.I added the large shoulder rail-gun from another Gundam model the Tallgeese. Used burst cannons from Tau Stealthsuits for the gatling arms. 


Added a gun drone body on the shoulder of the jet-pack mounted on a multi-tracker with its antennae cut off. Added more target locks and burst cannon ammo drums as well as antennae to the ears.



I also added shield generators to the shoulders. All in all this is one of my favorite conversions and one of my favorite models. 




 I used the body of the Tallgeese from the earlier conversion to create the ....

Athena Assault Mecha. It is a heavy missile support mecha that fires from behind cover in an in-direct arc when a front line mecha like the Artemis designates a target.

It also carries two lighter but still effective gatling cannons in its arms similar to the Artemis. 

The Athena also carries a single pilot backed up by an AI assistant. It is also equipped with jump jets.














Similar to the Artemis mecha I used Tau stealth suit burst cannons, antennae and shield generators. I also used two Chaos Space Marine Havoc Launchers for the shoulder mounted missiles. I also added some extra armor plates to the top of the launchers. The head is made from a warhammer tank bit from an apocolypse vehicle sprue, a piece of gundam armor and some Tau antennaes.


Shoulder missile launchers with their additional armor. You can also see the Crisis Suit jet-pack mounted to the back in a similar fashion to the Artemis.


Another Gun Drone mounted on the Jet-pack to represent a radar dome. I also added a tail made from one of the Gundam model's whip. Foxy.


I mounted the mecha on CDs with some resin rocks I cast, sand and a torn up mech clix model lying face down. 


Here they both are shown with some Terran Assault armor, Combat Drone and Halo terrain in the background. 


You will see these guys soon in a Gruntz 15mm Battle Report but I thought I would throw some eye candy out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment